IoT on #oow17 and in my life

by Maurik-Jan Veenman on October 3, 2017 · 16 comments

Last Sunday I attended an interesting session at Oracle OpenWord. It was a session about how Federal Express, an American company who delivers parcels, used the electronics in cars that monitor tyre pressure, a lot of parameters from the engine and the gps of the car to collect huge amounts of data. With this data they could coach drivers to drive more fluently to save fuel and prevent excessive engine and tyre wear. They saved money because they optimized routes and minimized the time of cars running idle. They could also inform the customer exactly when the parcel would arrive, because they could see live how well the trip is going (deviations or accidents and a very lucky drive were all noticed and used to update the estimated time of arrival.

I thought it was an inspiring session, because they used what is already there (the car electronics, a database), and combine it with a small device that sends all this information via the phone data network to the organization. Then they add clever analytics software and they are much more in control, and can use and maintain their equipment much more efficiently. In the past there was a little buffer taken for many things, now that is no longer necessary, because they can see exactly when, for instance, the tyres of the car need to be resurfaced, because one can see the exact mileage.

The next day Mark Hurd was talking about predictions he had made, and proving that they were right. One of them was that much more devices in our lives will be connected with each other to make our life easier. Until now I had the idea that all these things were not going as fast as he had predicted them.

But suddenly I realized that even in my own life a lot of things are being combined with each other to comfort my life: if I start up my Blu-ray player, my TV is automatically started, my ‘toon’ (smart thermostat and domotica controller) measures how much power I use and tells that to the power company, so that I don’t have to fill in a end-of-year measurement manually anymore. If I step into my car, my phone is automatically connected, and the app ‘flitsmeister’ is automatically started because it detects that the phone connects to my car. If I Google a restaurant on my phone, I can let google maps guide me to there, if I hear a good song, I can let Shazam listen to it, and find the song’s title for me. When I booked Oracle OpenWorld with my credit card, the bank called me to check if that was a normal, wanted transaction.

These are all examples of clever use of things that are there like phones and what’s in them, databases, the data network, the data itself and analytic software to help us make our lives better. I love it, and I am proud to be a part of the industry that makes this happen!

IoT on #oow17 and in my life, 5.0 out of 5 based on 1 rating
Ratings:
VN:D [1.9.22_1171]
Rating: 5.0/5 (1 vote cast)

{ 16 comments… read them below or add one }

QuickBooks support phone number June 25, 2019 at 11:57 am

Very nice!!! This is really good blog information thanks for sharing. We are a reliable third party Quickbooks support phone number company, offering technical support for various types of technical errors. Visit Website here:- https://www.quickbooksphonenumber.com/

Digital Marketing Institute in Delhi July 6, 2019 at 12:09 pm

BECOME A DIGITAL MARKETING
EXPERT WITH US
COIM offers professional Digital Marketing Course Training in Delhi to help you for job and your business on the path to success.
+91-9717 419 413

Delta Airlines Reservations Number July 6, 2019 at 12:10 pm

Delta Airlines Customer Service Number for :
+1 (888) 262-3763
Delta Airline Reservatations
Airline Booking
PNR Change
Online Delta Ticket Booking
Delta Customer Care
Best phone number to reach Delta
Airline VIP Lounge
Delta Celebrity Reservation

24 hours, 7 days
Delta customer service number .
Get in touch with Delta’s customer service department through the following phone numbers,email and contact form.
For more information about reservations, technical support, cargo department,
lost baggage and medallion status, please call the numbers listed Above.

pogo games support phone number July 13, 2019 at 8:24 am

Reach out to Pogo Phone Support Or Pogo Live chat Service.
pogo games support phone number

Avast Renewal July 22, 2019 at 7:13 am

If you face any problem related to Avast Renewal issue contact Avast Customer Support Phone Number, they provide the best service to their customer and give quick response.

Dell Support July 22, 2019 at 7:14 am

We are an independent third party Dell support provider for Dell users suffering from serious technical threats. We provide unlimited technical support services and solutions for Dell users in very affordable rates. Our Dell Support Number team is ready to help you for any issue.

Microsoft Support Phone Number July 24, 2019 at 9:27 am

Hi! I am Thilde Carlsson, accessible all day and night to offer my assistance to the needy ones who are encountering issues related to their Microsoft. So, when on earth, you experience something wrong with your Microsoft product then you can dial Microsoft Support Phone Number at anytime to make contact with me. Here, you will get the appropriate solution for your complete issues in an efficient manner.
Contact Number: +1-888-502-0222

assignment help sharjah July 25, 2019 at 1:15 pm

Excellent post. This article is very helpful for people and also for me. I get some useful knowledge in this post. Thanks for sharing the informative topic, by the way.

under eye wrinkles home remedy July 30, 2019 at 11:25 am

Natural and over-the-counter remedies can be somewhat helpful for reducing the
under eye wrinkles home remedy

Assignment Help August 2, 2019 at 7:09 am

Thanks for updating the post! Your post has shared all essential information of Assignment Help very clearly. Students should opt for online assignment writing services in order to save their time. For more details regarding the best academic writing, connect with customer care services of greatassignmenthelp

Accounting assignment help australia August 3, 2019 at 11:01 am

Accounting is the branch of commerce that deals with the study of consumption, distribution and production of goods and services. It is the research and idea of the path in which business, money and industry are organized. Hire accounting assignment help Australia services with the help of our top experts. Book Now!

tokeny August 8, 2019 at 7:17 am

Excellent and decent post. I found this much informative, as to what I was exactly searching for. Thanks for such post and please keep on sharing with us

buy economics assignment August 21, 2019 at 12:42 pm

Nice Post! Avail the best Economics assignment writing service in town and observe significant changes in your mark sheet. Visit MyAssignmenthelp.com and place an order today.

Nike swot Analysis August 22, 2019 at 11:33 am

Statistics is one of the most difficult subjects that are taught in the colleges and universities, and if you don’t particularly enjoy collection and analysis of data, you may have a difficult time coping with the academic pressure. Like any other field of academics, you also need to draft a number of statistics assignment help throughout the semester, and since they carry a significant amount of marks, there’s no way to avoid these daunting tasks.
Work on enhancing your resume before everything else. You can start by performing an assessment of your CV, which might provide you with a clear idea of where you should focus your efforts before moving on to pursue an MBA. You can also check out various buy assignment companies for valuable insights when you need help with doing your assignment.

Assignment Help August 24, 2019 at 5:58 am

Assignment Help is the great solution for all those students who need help for completing their homework. If you need expert help for your work, browse the website of greatassignmenthelp or talk with the academic expert for more clarification.

Outlook Support Phone Number August 25, 2019 at 4:58 am

Nice Blog, I have get enough information from your blog and I appreciate your way of writing.
Thanks for everything and dial our Outlook support phone number for technical support and information of Outlook.