IoT on #oow17 and in my life

by Maurik-Jan Veenman on October 3, 2017 · 14 comments

Last Sunday I attended an interesting session at Oracle OpenWord. It was a session about how Federal Express, an American company who delivers parcels, used the electronics in cars that monitor tyre pressure, a lot of parameters from the engine and the gps of the car to collect huge amounts of data. With this data they could coach drivers to drive more fluently to save fuel and prevent excessive engine and tyre wear. They saved money because they optimized routes and minimized the time of cars running idle. They could also inform the customer exactly when the parcel would arrive, because they could see live how well the trip is going (deviations or accidents and a very lucky drive were all noticed and used to update the estimated time of arrival.

I thought it was an inspiring session, because they used what is already there (the car electronics, a database), and combine it with a small device that sends all this information via the phone data network to the organization. Then they add clever analytics software and they are much more in control, and can use and maintain their equipment much more efficiently. In the past there was a little buffer taken for many things, now that is no longer necessary, because they can see exactly when, for instance, the tyres of the car need to be resurfaced, because one can see the exact mileage.

The next day Mark Hurd was talking about predictions he had made, and proving that they were right. One of them was that much more devices in our lives will be connected with each other to make our life easier. Until now I had the idea that all these things were not going as fast as he had predicted them.

But suddenly I realized that even in my own life a lot of things are being combined with each other to comfort my life: if I start up my Blu-ray player, my TV is automatically started, my ‘toon’ (smart thermostat and domotica controller) measures how much power I use and tells that to the power company, so that I don’t have to fill in a end-of-year measurement manually anymore. If I step into my car, my phone is automatically connected, and the app ‘flitsmeister’ is automatically started because it detects that the phone connects to my car. If I Google a restaurant on my phone, I can let google maps guide me to there, if I hear a good song, I can let Shazam listen to it, and find the song’s title for me. When I booked Oracle OpenWorld with my credit card, the bank called me to check if that was a normal, wanted transaction.

These are all examples of clever use of things that are there like phones and what’s in them, databases, the data network, the data itself and analytic software to help us make our lives better. I love it, and I am proud to be a part of the industry that makes this happen!

Ratings:
VN:F [1.9.22_1171]
Rating: 0.0/5 (0 votes cast)

{ 14 comments… read them below or add one }

HP Support Assistant November 29, 2018 at 2:44 pm

The information about the IoT technology has been discussed here very nicely. I get some rare idea from it.

HP Support Assistant January 2, 2019 at 8:51 am

Really a great post. Keep sharing this type of information.

HP Printer Offline January 3, 2019 at 12:44 pm

It is not a difficult task for tech-savvy person to deal with the situation HP Printer Offline. But when we are talking for non-tech person, yes, they find some trouble and can’t fix this offline issue by their hand. At that point, such a helpless users need to place a call on the provided number as there they will get one-stop solution in limited time. https://www.hpprintersupportpro.com/my-hp-printer-is-offline

Microsoft Number January 3, 2019 at 3:16 pm

Thanks for sharing this information.I feel really happy to have seen your webpage.If you have any query related to Microsoft Number contact with us.

Java Programmer Help January 5, 2019 at 7:48 am

I would like to thank you for the high level and informative article with us. I hope you and we will sharing more idea’s and the keep writing more like the this one. If you have any query related to Java Programmer Help contact with us. contact with us.

HP Customer Service Phone Number January 5, 2019 at 3:03 pm

I,MarryTaylor like to stay in touch of latest technology. So, there does not come any intervention while operating HP printer. It does not matter you have engaged in new and old version of HP Printer. You can dial HP Customer Support Phone Number in case fighting with failure cannot complete in one day. For extracting much information, you can browse our web portal.

Assignment Help Online January 7, 2019 at 6:07 am

Reading this post, I feet some confidence in mind as we get the possibility to ignite our pre-existed knowledge and add some knowledge stream with it. In order to attain the best in you lovely subject matter, our Online Assignment Help link helps you a lot to be demoralize from negative feeling.

go.avast.com January 7, 2019 at 2:46 pm

Do not waste your time by applying the illogical tricks to fix avast antivirus issues. Just visit go.avast.com to directly contact to certified experts to resolve avast issues.

Java Programming Assignment Help January 7, 2019 at 3:01 pm

I would like to thank you for the high level and informative article with us. I hope you and we will sharing more idea’s and the keep writing more like the this one. If you have any query related to Java Programming Assignment Help contact with us. contact with us.

Microsoft Customer Service January 8, 2019 at 9:14 am

Thanks for sharing this information.I feel really happy to have seen your webpage.If you have any query related to Microsoft Customer Service contact with us.

Quicken Chat January 8, 2019 at 12:38 pm

Technical issues are normal to any software or application and same with the quicken accounting software. You can use Quicken Chat service to get help from experts to resolve quicken technical issues. Our experts will help you to resolve quicken numeric error codes like cc 501, 502 and 503. Connect with our experts if you have any issue with your quicken software.

Assignment Help January 9, 2019 at 6:33 am

Wow, this is the extraordinary content to upgrade the coherence all things considered. In the event that you can’t ready to give the adequate time, you can bring down the worry through allocating it to Online Assignment Help organization. Presently, you can take some minute to make your voyage genuinely great.

Brother printer support phone number January 9, 2019 at 3:09 pm

We are a prime leader as a third party tech support service provider offering world class technical support services for Brother printer issues. We offer live technical support services like live phone, email and chat support services as per your needs in very affordable prices. Our printer experts are highly experienced for resolving any type of technical issues easily. Our Brother Help Phone Number is open for you anytime to get instant help for any issue.

avast ui failed to load January 10, 2019 at 3:08 pm

Get immediate solution to fix avast ui failed to load issue from certified experts.