IoT on #oow17 and in my life

by Maurik-Jan Veenman on October 3, 2017 · 8 comments

Last Sunday I attended an interesting session at Oracle OpenWord. It was a session about how Federal Express, an American company who delivers parcels, used the electronics in cars that monitor tyre pressure, a lot of parameters from the engine and the gps of the car to collect huge amounts of data. With this data they could coach drivers to drive more fluently to save fuel and prevent excessive engine and tyre wear. They saved money because they optimized routes and minimized the time of cars running idle. They could also inform the customer exactly when the parcel would arrive, because they could see live how well the trip is going (deviations or accidents and a very lucky drive were all noticed and used to update the estimated time of arrival.

I thought it was an inspiring session, because they used what is already there (the car electronics, a database), and combine it with a small device that sends all this information via the phone data network to the organization. Then they add clever analytics software and they are much more in control, and can use and maintain their equipment much more efficiently. In the past there was a little buffer taken for many things, now that is no longer necessary, because they can see exactly when, for instance, the tyres of the car need to be resurfaced, because one can see the exact mileage.

The next day Mark Hurd was talking about predictions he had made, and proving that they were right. One of them was that much more devices in our lives will be connected with each other to make our life easier. Until now I had the idea that all these things were not going as fast as he had predicted them.

But suddenly I realized that even in my own life a lot of things are being combined with each other to comfort my life: if I start up my Blu-ray player, my TV is automatically started, my ‘toon’ (smart thermostat and domotica controller) measures how much power I use and tells that to the power company, so that I don’t have to fill in a end-of-year measurement manually anymore. If I step into my car, my phone is automatically connected, and the app ‘flitsmeister’ is automatically started because it detects that the phone connects to my car. If I Google a restaurant on my phone, I can let google maps guide me to there, if I hear a good song, I can let Shazam listen to it, and find the song’s title for me. When I booked Oracle OpenWorld with my credit card, the bank called me to check if that was a normal, wanted transaction.

These are all examples of clever use of things that are there like phones and what’s in them, databases, the data network, the data itself and analytic software to help us make our lives better. I love it, and I am proud to be a part of the industry that makes this happen!

IoT on #oow17 and in my life, 5.0 out of 5 based on 1 rating
Ratings:
VN:D [1.9.22_1171]
Rating: 5.0/5 (1 vote cast)

{ 8 comments… read them below or add one }

MSOFFICE March 1, 2019 at 12:27 pm

thanks for article….

Oliver Dicosta April 1, 2019 at 10:28 am

HP Printer is designed with latest and most tough components to offer best experience to Customers. It has been the leading branch available in the market in comparison to others. It has many versions under it. It has excellent printing quality but despite of having so much astonishing features users generally comes across various unexpected & complex errors, then there is a need of technical support to resolve all such complex issues. But no need to worry, we are accessible here round the clock for your convenience. We have earned this reputation serving millions of people all across the World. Various other issues associated with HP Printer are also deal by us. You can completely rely on us. Dial our toll-free +1 (844) 444-4174 for best & most excellent solutions whenever need.

software solution April 4, 2019 at 12:42 pm

GenNext Software Solutions is into providing Web Solutions to it’s customers around the globe. We are based out of US. We develop responsive website that appeals to customers, from branding that inspire others to follow your path, to platform design that creates user engagements and campaigns that attract consumer to associate. Our goal is to develop a responsive website that gives a great experience for the users along with an opportunity to capture leads. We are expert in website design services and dedicated to developing cutting-edge sites. Whether you have just started or are evolving with your brand, our technology will help you to grow fast. We can also help you to create a tailored mobile app to support your business.

software solution April 4, 2019 at 12:44 pm

Let the eXperts handle your WordPress Website
While you work hard to keep your business moving forward, our WordPress worldclass gurus make sure your website technical issues are under excellence team supervision. We can help you resolve any WordPress site maintenance, WordPress SIte Backup and any complex WordPress Technical and Coding Issues.

Get a clean, protected customised WordPress Website built by a team of WordPress coding champions who have delivered over 12000+ websites around the globe in different niches. We build business websites, personal websites, High-end IT Websites, IT and Non IT portals, Knowledgebase WordPress Websites, Wedding sites, Doctor’s Customized websites, Hotels, Travel sites and blogs.

Microsoft Outlook Support April 23, 2019 at 9:03 am

This post is not just informative but impressive also. If you have any technical issue related Microsoft Office products Contact with Microsoft Outlook Support.

HP Customer Support April 26, 2019 at 1:29 pm

I,MarryTaylor like to stay in touch of latest technology. So, there does not come any intervention while operating HP printer. It does not matter you have engaged in new and old version of HP Printer. You can dial HP Customer Support Phone Number in case fighting with failure cannot complete in one day. For extracting much information, you can browse our web portal.

HP Printer Error Code 69.X May 2, 2019 at 9:51 am

Hi, thanks for the lovely post. It is reall informative. If you are searching for a website that would provide you with the steps to solve HP Printer Error Code 69.X. You would find all the steps for the process.

wp develoment May 8, 2019 at 5:48 pm

Thanks for the information. We Resolve : WordPress Errors, Do WordPress Maintenance, Provide WordPress Support, Get WordPress Hosting, Do WordPress Website Customization and WordPress Development, Also WordPress Installation, And WordPress Migration and much more.