Troubles with the OFM Configuration Wizard using JDK7 and Windows clients

by Laurens van der Starre on May 7, 2012 · 8 comments

If you for example come to this screen, and, use browse to select a folder, you can’t change the domain name anymore.

Fusion Middleware Configuration Wizard screenshot

Fusion Middleware Configuration Wizard screenshot

Further on in the wizard, at the cluster configuration screens, you can’t edit the server names etc. Which is pretty annoying.

After some fiddling with it, and trying to reproduce it on my own Solaris 11 environments, I noticed that this is a Windows problem with JDK 7. If you have a Linux client environment at hand, you’ll see that there is no problem at all. If you’re stuck in Windows, then a workaround is to run the OFM Configuration Wizard using JDK6.

First download and install the latest JDK6 on the server. Use the zipped distribution, because that installs easily (just unpack it). Then, go to $MIDDLEWARE_HOME/wlserver_10.3/common/bin and edit commEnv.sh. Change the JDK7 path to your JDK6 path:

# Reset JAVA_HOME, JAVA_VENDOR and PRODUCTION_MODE unless JAVA_HOME
# and JAVA_VENDOR are pre-defined.
if [ -z "${JAVA_HOME}" -o -z "${JAVA_VENDOR}" ]; then
  # Set up JAVA HOME
  JAVA_HOME="/home/laurens/jdk1.7.0_03"
  # Set up JAVA VENDOR, possible values are
  #Oracle, HP, IBM, Sun ...
  JAVA_VENDOR=Oracle
  # PRODUCTION_MODE, default to the development mode
  PRODUCTION_MODE=""
fi

Change the JAVA_HOME to your JDK 6 JAVA_HOME. Now the OFM Configuration Wizard will work perfectly. By the way, this is not limited to Solaris 11, I could also reproduce it on OEL5u8 Linux.

Don’t forget to change commEnv.sh back afterwards! Otherwise you’ll get some awesome issues and errors 😉

Troubles with the OFM Configuration Wizard using JDK7 and Windows clients, 4.5 out of 5 based on 4 ratings
Ratings:
VN:F [1.9.22_1171]
Rating: 4.5/5 (4 votes cast)

{ 8 comments… read them below or add one }

Tony May 8, 2012 at 4:42 pm

Laurens,

I had a similar problem with the dbca (database config assistant) in combination with Xming aswell. The dbca would just ‘hang’ at some point.
The resolution was to install the extra Xming fonts onto the windows client where Xming is installed (http://sourceforge.net/projects/xming/files/).
Could this be the same issue?

cheers, Tony

Laurens van der Starre May 8, 2012 at 4:53 pm

Might be related, but this issue is pure that some fields become inaccessible. Some kind of GUI objects won’t work.

las artes June 20, 2012 at 9:41 am

I recently installed several Fusion Middleware servers on Solaris 11 Intel from a client PC that was provided to me. I installed the OFM on JDK7. It was running Windows 7 and had the Xming X-server installed. I noticed that when using the Fusion Middleware Configuration Wizard (a.k.a. the domain creation wizard), the GUI didn’t work at all. It seems to be a JDK7 and Windows issue. This blog describes a quick workaround.

Simon Haslam June 15, 2013 at 4:02 pm

Thanks for the post Laurens. I’ve had the same issue with WebLogic 12c and Java 7.

The problem appears to arise from the removal of the Motif-based AWT MToolkit (which had been previously deprecated) in Java 7 – see RFE: 6463431 mentioned in http://www.oracle.com/technetwork/java/javase/compatibility-417013.html

It only seems to be an issue if you use multiple window mode (i.e. If you don’t specify -multiwindow on the xming startup command it works OK albeit you have the grey X desktop and no window ornaments which is not ideal.

Not that the problem is still there in the latest (paid) version of Xming as well as MobaXterm (I’ve only tried the free one). I’ve emailed the Xming developer to see what he thinks.

Laurens van der Starre June 17, 2013 at 9:29 am

Thanks for the info! Great find!

Laurens van der Starre June 21, 2013 at 8:32 am

Simon,

I found out that in MobaXterm you can specify the windowed mode for XMing. Go the configuration screen (Settings -> Configuration) and then the X11 tab. This should do the trick.

Cheers,

Laurens.

Hiram Lester August 16, 2013 at 11:51 pm

Simon, have you tried the paid version recently? I notice there’s a snapshot build that came out today with the following in the changelog:

•In -multiwindow mode more closely follow ICCCM section 4.1.7 when setting X input focus to a window when the native Windows window acquires input focus. This helps JDK 1.7 clients acquire the focus correctly. (thanks to Jon Turney)

I’m not sure if this may fix the issue or if it’s similar to the proposed workaround of adding “AWT_TOOLKIT=MToolkit” on the server (which didn’t work for this issue, but helped a colleague with a GUI issue on XMing with OpenJDK 1.6).

Hiram Lester August 16, 2013 at 11:16 pm

I’ve experienced exactly the same issue with not being able to type in the text fields in config.sh using JDK 1.7/XMing although it works with JRockit/XMing and I’m hearing that it works with JDK 1.7/Reflections. The workaround Simon suggested about disabling multiwindow mode also works. The XMing page suggests settng an environment entry AWT_TOOLKIT=MToolkit which doesn’t seem to help with this specific issue.